Monday, October 22, 2007

Spooky Little Box

The box above is a recreation of the Hostess gift I gave to Christi at her stamping party this weekend! It was filled with a stamp she chose, an ink spot (mini ink pad) and of course--CHOCOLATE! This is called a 2-5-7-10 Box, and I promised to post a tutorial on making the box, so here we go!

You'll need a sheet of 12x12 card stock. Score it at 2", 5", 7" and 10". Then turn the card stock 90 degrees and score again at 2" and at 7".

You will cut and fold along these score marks, as directed in the picture below. Cut on the black lines, and fold on the white lines. (Click on the picture below to see it larger.)


The picture below will show you what you'll end up with after you cut it out:

FYI: The large rectangle that is sticking up on the top will actually be the flap of your box. The next step is to decorate your box, which can be done quite easily using a Stampin' Around® wheel. The wheel I chose was Happy Jacks, and because the images on the wheel have a definite right-side-up, I covered the flap of the box with scratch paper while I rolled over the main part of the box. Then I switched the scratch paper, to cover nearby areas of the main box, as I rotated the box around to roll over the flap. This way, the Happy Jacks will be upright on both the box, and the flap. See the pictures below for a visual on this:


Next, you'll want to trim the flap of your box. Since all the sides are square, you can do this on the Paper Cutter, as shown on the picture on the left, below) I ended up backing my flap with another color, so I cut it off at about 1-1/4". You'll also want to trim the side of the box that is going to be adhered under the rest, so that the edges don't stick out and get in your way. If you cut away the areas you see marked in grey in the picture on the right (below), and then trim about 1/4" from the straight edge that runs across the bottom of the picture, that should give you plenty of breathing room.

And finally, you're ready to apply Sticky Strip adhesive to the edges, to assemble your box. Place Sticky Strip as shown in the picture below. There are 4 strips to place on the box. Please note that one of the bottom flaps needing adhesive is turned up. Place the Sticky Strip on the card stock, and leave the red covering in place. If you like, run a Bone Folder over the red covering of the Sticky Strip to help adhere it to the card stock, and to make the red covering easier to pull away. Only remove the red covering for the adhesive strips you are working with, as Sticky Strip adhesive is very sticky, and you don't want to accidentally stick the wrong parts of your project together!


I first rolled the box up and adhered the side panel, as shown in the picture on the left below. I then folded in the two smaller bottom side flaps, first folding down the one with the exposed adhesive strip, then folding the other side flap onto the top of that adhesive strip. Then I did the same with the larger flaps. You'll want to follow this order so that the bottom flap that shows, is folding from the front to the back, which will give the bottom front of the box a cleaner edge.



The next step is to take your fully assembled box, and pinch the top corners in so that the flap will close neatly over the front. You do this by pushing each side of the box in towards the center, and making gentle creases as shown below:


Don't pull the flap over the front of the box just yet, there is a minor amount of trimming you can do that will further help the flap to lie flat. Cut each front corner of the box towards the center front of the box, as shown by the white arrows on the picture below:


After that, your front flap should fold over neatly. If it does not, you may also need to trim very slightly across the straight edge at the top front edge of the box opening. If you want to add a different color to your box flap, as I did on my sample, you'll need to adhere that now. I scalloped the edge of the box flap, so I'll go ahead and show a small demo on that right here. I removed the plastic guide from the 3/16" Corner Rounder Punch, as pictured below:


I then turned the punch over, to line up my paper across the flat part of metal 'V' shape of the punch, as shown in the picture below on the left. I made sure to place my punch in the center of piece I wanted scalloped (you can make a small pencil mark) so that the ridges would be even from the center to each edge of the piece. For each scallop going out from the center one, I overlapped the punch so that the space at the very end of the scallop next to it was just barely visible. Click on the picture to the right below, to see this in detail.


Sometimes I don't overlap my Corner Rounder Punch enough, and I get a little boo-boo tab. Click the picture on the left below to see the boo-boo up close, it's marked with a white arrow. I have found that if I use my 1/8" Circle Punch, I can trim the little boo-boo tab out and it looks as good as new. Click the picture below on the right to get a close up of how that works, then check out the picture underneath the first two, to see the repair work.




After your edge is scalloped, you will need to make some holes for ribbon, so you can open and close your box numerous times without damaging it. I used the Rectangle Punch, and first punched holes in the box lid, as you'll see in the picture below on the left. After that, I closed the box flap and marked the location of the holes with a pencil, onto the box front, as shown in the picture below on the right. Then I punched the holes in the box front with the Rectangle Punch. You can see all the holes in the picture under the first two.




Next, you'll want to string about 18" of 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon through the box front itself, as shown in the picture on the left below. Center the ribbon so that equal lengths are coming from each hole. Then take each end of the ribbon and string it through its respective hole in the box flap, from the backside, as shown in the picture below on the right.



When you pull the ribbon taut, the box flap should lie flat against the front of the box, and if you tie the ribbon in a bow, this is what it should look like:

You can leave it as it is, or add a gift tag or decorative medallion as I did on the sample at the beginning of this post. This project is fun for Halloween treats, but would also make a great gift box for the holidays. If you are like me, you have plenty of friends you'd enjoy giving a gift to, but financial limitations keep you from giving anything you really feel would be meaningful. So, instead, give a little bit of your time and talent by creating hand-stamped gifts, and I guarantee you it will be priceless to the recipient.
Stampin' Supplies: Bold Brights® Textured Card Stock (Only Orange and Lovely Lilac), Happy Jacks wheel and roller handle, Lovely Lilac ink pad (used both for the wheel and the ghost stamp), Blender Pens (for shading on the ghost), Paper Cutter (with scoring blade), Paper Snips, Sticky Strip, 3/16" Corner Rounder, Rectangle Punch, 1/8" Handheld Circle Punch, Elegant Eggplant 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, Scallop Punch, 1-3/8" Circle Punch, 1-1/4" Circle Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals®, SNAIL.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Comments are moderated and may take a while to show up...please be patient!

NOTE: If you would like to read any replies to your comment, please be sure you check the Notify Me box. If you would prefer an email response from me, please contact me at procrastistamper@gmail.com, as I do NOT receive an email address in association with your comment. Thank you!