Friday, October 3, 2008

More Halloween Ghirardelli Treat Holders

Remember yesterday when I said these would be cute made in Ghostly Greetings Designer Series Paper, with the Chills & Thrills Rub-ons? Well, I don't think I was wrong...these may be the cutest Halloween treats I've ever made! [Remember, click on any image to see it larger.]



You can find the TUTORIAL for these gems right HERE. The hardest part of making these was restraining myself from eating all the chocolate squares before I could put them in the holders. This is definitely a project I need to do with my jaw wired shut! Actually, I did make these a lot more complicated than necessary, but I was having a lot of fun and I just couldn't stop myself. They look totally adorable with just the Ghostly Greetings Designer Series Papers layered on them with a contrasting color of card stock.

I'm not going to go into detail on how these were put together, but I do want to make a few notes. First, for the Basic Black and Basic Gray holders, I did not use Textured card stock. I think they look a little flat, so I highly recommend buying a package of the Neturals 12"x12" Textured Card Stock Assortment for these. I also varied from my first measurements and made my DSP layers 2-3/4" x 1-3/4" on these treat holders, and made the card stock layer below them just about 1/16" longer on each side.

I used Kiwi Kiss and Pumpkin Pie Textured card stock for the green and orange treat holders. You might find it more convenient and cost efficient to purchase an In Color 12"x12" Textured Card Stock Assortment and then use the Kiwi Kiss and Tangerine Tango colors. However, Pumpkin Pie is the color which directly coordinates with the Ghostly Greetings Designer Series Paper. If you choose to go ahead and purchase an individual package of Pumpkin Pie 12"x12" Textured Card Stock, you can use that again to make placecard treat holders for Thanksgiving.

To tie the treat holders closed, I used four different products: Kiwi Kiss Striped Grosgrain, Tangerine Tango Striped Grosgrain (you could always substitute Pumpkin Pie Striped Grosgrain for this), Black Hemp Twine, and Rope Twine (New! Find it in the Holiday Mini Catalog) which I unraveled after I knotted it. Also, the Earth Elements Colored Buttons coordinate well with Kiwi Kiss and Pumpkin Pie. And I couldn't pass up using the Curly Label punch from the Curly Label Punch Bundle. The Curly Label punch also works with one of the images in the new Eat, Drink & Be Scary stamp set in the Holiday Mini Catalog, so it can do double duty on your spooky stamping projects!

You might also notice that I used the Large Oval Punch, and the Wide Oval Punch. And, I did a little distressing with the tool in the Cutter Kit on some of the punched pieces. I also trimmed out some of the pieces in the Chills & Thrills Rub-ons, to omit parts or use parts separately in different orientations. Finally, on the black pumpkin rub-on I put on the Kiwi Kiss "boo" tag, I actually used my 1/8" punch to punch out his eyes, and used my Hobby Blade to carve out his mouth, then layered that tag onto Pumpkin Pie card stock.

Even if you don't want to make these treat holders for Halloween, you still have my permission to buy some Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares™ to keep by your stamping desk for times of creative crisis ;-) Of course, if your kids see them, you can always explain they are for a "project", and you can show them my tutorial if they call your bluff!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberley
    love your treat boxes....also I find your blog very informative....
    Deb Lehigh
    blog: www.thestampinhut.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Comments are moderated and may take a while to show up...please be patient!

NOTE: If you would like to read any replies to your comment, please be sure you check the Notify Me box. If you would prefer an email response from me, please contact me at procrastistamper@gmail.com, as I do NOT receive an email address in association with your comment. Thank you!