Thursday, May 29, 2008

Artisan Award Entry #5

This was my second 3-D item entry. It is a "message center", with a write-on/wipe-off area, a magnet area, a corkboard area, and a post-it note area. Click on any picture to enlarge it...and sorry in advance for some fuzziness on the pictures, I was in a bit of a rush to get my entries sent off to meet the deadline, so I didn't check to make sure I had every shot clear.


The "white erase board" area is basically a trimmed down 6x6 page protector. This is a great trick for making alphabet practice pages for kids, by the way, using our ABC sets from the catalog. The background piece of this message center is a white painted metal sign I found at the craft store. It was just begging to be covered with Spring Break Designer Series Paper (DSP). I set aside an area at the top right for magnets, and made my magnets using Build-A-Brads, with the "legs" snipped off, and glued round magnets to the back with Crystal Effects. I used the Stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the letters in the title "MESSAGE CENTER".


The post-it note area is pretty self-explanatory. The corkboard was cut down from a larger square, and I added Blue Bayou Double Stitched Grosgrain, and some flowers I snipped from other sheets of the DSP. To make the tacks, I once again used Build-A-Brads, but this time crimped the legs in toward each other and left them straight, to stick into the corkboard!


The board was finished off with Jumbo Eyelets for hanging. The Crop-A-Dile punches holes right through metal, then sets the Jumbo Eyelets perfectly. Blue Bayou Double Stitched Grosgrain was strung through the holes so the board can hang from a tack on the wall. I had to keep an eye on this board until it was packed away to send off for the contest, because my 13 year-old daughter REALLY wanted to keep it for herself! Her birthday is in August, maybe she'll get a personalized gift ;-)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! this one is a KNOCK OUT! Wishing you good luck!!

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Comments are moderated and may take a while to show up...please be patient!

NOTE: If you would like to read any replies to your comment, please be sure you check the Notify Me box. If you would prefer an email response from me, please contact me at procrastistamper@gmail.com, as I do NOT receive an email address in association with your comment. Thank you!