Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Artisan Award Entry #4

Well, today's Artisan Award Entry isn't good for much but bragging rights...because it was all custom made. It is one of my two 3-D entries--a little mock filing cabinet, with three drawers, labeled to store Bows, Brads, and Buttons. At first glance it may not look like much, but it was quite the reconstructive effort!


I started with a plain brown box, took it apart at the seam, and cut three holes in the front, where drawers would be placed. I decided that, since the front would need some detailed attention to cut and cover with Porcelain Prints Designer Series Paper (DSP), I'd better do that while the box was lying open--and that turned out to be a good decision! Before I closed the box up, I found some scrap chipboard from 6x6 page protector packages, cut them to size, and scored little flaps on two sides of those, then placed them inside the box like shelves. I also used a Zig metallic paint pen in gold, to go around all the edges, so I would not have to make the DSP meet so exactly. I closed the box and sealed it back up with lots of Sticky Strip. Each of the drawers rests on one of the shelves for support. Considering this was a one-time custom job, I was very proud that all my cutting and measuring and gluing pieces together worked out so well the first time around.


Each of the drawers is made of card stock, and they really pull out. They also each have a drawer stop at the back, to keep them from pulling all the way out and falling out. I had to come up with custom measurements to make the "box" base for the drawers, but all the drawer fronts were the same size. The ribbon is Blue Bayou Double Stitched Grosgrain, with the side stitching pulled out. (I thought the white added too much bright contrast, and I didn't want that) The ribbon was attached first to each drawer front, with an eyelet. You can't see the eyelet because the drawer label was placed over it on each drawer.


I decorated the rest of the box with coordinating Designer Series Paper, punched from the 5-Petal, and Boho Blossoms punches. I really did feel like an artisan making this piece, almost as if I'd carved a sculpture and created a finished piece from a block of raw material.

3 comments:

  1. Kimberley, this is a fabulous project! It obviously took hours and was a labor of love--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Debbie--getting this compliment from someone who has actually won the Artisan Award, is very special to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. this is a work of ART! As I scroll down they get better and better, you have put your heart and soul into this one. YOU get my Vote! Hands Down if were able to vote, TFS

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Comments are moderated and may take a while to show up...please be patient!

NOTE: If you would like to read any replies to your comment, please be sure you check the Notify Me box. If you would prefer an email response from me, please contact me at procrastistamper@gmail.com, as I do NOT receive an email address in association with your comment. Thank you!